About New Millennium Delphiniums
The delphiniums we breed and offer for sale are primarily D. elatum types. That is the tall majestic English Delphinium Hybrid. These should have a minimum sepal (commonly called petals) count of thirteen, and will probably have a central "bee" of small petals. They are generally regarded as far superior to "Pacific Giants" and many other commercially available "packet" seed types.
Gardeners throughout the world love delphiniums but relatively few realise how easy it is to grow them, or what a wonderful range of form and colour is available.
It is our aim, through the provision of information and access to plant material, to promote delphiniums in the gardens of the world, and through the breeding programmes of ourselves and others, select strains suited to as wide a variety of conditions as possible.
We are marketing the very best of our new hybrids and seedlines under the name New Millennium DelphiniumsTM . The cloned plants are available only in New Zealand at this stage, but the seedlines are available to all.
"New Millennium Delphiniums"
- Top of the range, reserved for delphiniums bred by us. These delphiniums are of the "English Hybrid Type", which are mostly very hardy, strong stemmed delphiniums, with magnificent heavily petalled flowers. Our best mother stock is used for hand crossing to produce F1 seed. This seed gives plants of excellent form and colour. As well as flower quality, we are selecting for plants that tolerate the mild humid conditions of Auckland summers. We would therefore expect them to be more suitable than other delphiniums where the summer heat/humidity is a bit tough.
New Millennium New Zealand Hybrids
Our own hand crossed Named seedlines :
- Royal Aspirations - Mix of blues with white bee
- Black-Eyed Sailors - blues with black bee
- Cobalt Dreams - Deep Blue with white bee, very even result
- Green Twist - white flowers with green or cream highlights
- Sunny Skies - Light blues with a white bee (4-6 feet)
- Morning Lights - Light blue/mauve florets with white bees, very strong plants
- Blue Lace - Light blues with mauve tints tending double (4-6 feet)
- Moonlight Blues - Pale Blue with black bee
- Lilac Ladies - deep mauve with white bee
- Misty Mauves - Mostly double, light and dark mauves, frilly petalled
- Blushing Brides - a mixture of our pinks
- Dusky Maidens - Dusky Pink with brown bees
- Sweethearts - Large flowered dark and light pinks with mostly white bees (4-6 feet)
- Pink Punch - very deep mulberry pinks
- Pink Blush - light coral pink
- Pagan Purples, dark blue/purple/mauve flowers, tending double. Expect the occasional white
- Purple Passion - Rich purples with white bee
- Innocence - pure white with a white bee, very good in the heat
- Double Innocence - Pure white, double flowered with frilly petals (4-6 feet)
- Black Eyed Angels - White with black bees
Open Pollinated seed
- Seed in this section is sold as being predominantly one colour, or a mix.
- Plants from this seed will be more varied in colour and form than either of the above. People with large gardens, or those of you wanting as great a range as possible for as little cost as possible will find these most useful. They will not however be as spectacular overall as seedlings from hand crossed seed.
Named varieties of New Millennium clones are available in New Zealand by mail order in the spring and autumn along with other plants.